Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kreuzberg ★ CA: White Hot Chocolate

Strangest way I've ever seen my name spelt: "Jease."
A quiet afternoon writing procrastinating at Kreuzberg. 
Kudos to the barista who spelled my name right.

If there's one thing I like, it's a cafe with lots of tables and available outlets.

Since moving into its larger location on Higuera Street, Kreuzberg ★ CA in San Luis Obispo has plenty of nooks and crannies for a would-be writer and her laptop. Sometimes it feels like Kreuzberg is trying a bit too hard – what with their used books stacked sky-high, their sandwiches named after classic authors and their gigantic murals devouring each wall – but even so, their food's good and there's always a place to sit.

Kreuzberg was my favorite haunt in November during National Novel Writing Month. Every week, I would find a corner to call my own where I could sit and work on my unfinished novel with minimum distraction. While I spent more time willing the story to write itself than actual writing, every now and then I produced a scene or two. Nowadays I drop in at least once a month to work on some smaller projects – or at least, pretend to work. Some days are more productive than others.

Like I already said, Kreuzberg has good food. Their sandwiches can be pricey, but they're definitely worth a taste. Lately I've been ordering this dish off their breakfast menu called the Tennessee Williams. It involves a fried egg over sourdough toast covered with feta cheese and sun-dried tomato spread. I like to order my eggs over-easy, so the yoke runs over the bread when I slice into it, drowning the whole thing in eggy goodness. It's rather delicious.

But let's talk about Kreuzberg's hot chocolate. They offer four different types: Dark, white, tuxedo or Mexican. I will probably review each one at some point (spoiler alert: they're all really good), but yesterday I decided to order their White Hot Chocolate (16 oz) for $2.75. They served it in a cutsy black teacup with a matching saucer and topped it off with whipped cream – something I always appreciate. The contrast between the white cocoa and the black cup made for a good picture. After all, what's a food blog without some attractive photos? 

 Now some chocolate connoisseurs will tell anyone within shouting distance that white chocolate is not “real” chocolate, but I happen to like white chocolate. There, I said it: I like white chocolate. And as far as white chocolate goes, Kreuzberg's is top-notch. Their white hot chocolate is substantial enough to fill you up (but not so thick you feel like you're drinking a milkshake) with a strong chocolate flavor. None of this "subtle hint of chocolate" nonsense, no siree.

While I understand that white chocolate is not for everyone, if you happen to like it or at least tolerate it, you need to get yourself to Kreuzberg and try their white hot chocolate. It's is pleasant change if you're looking for something new. Good, but different, and I cannot recommend it enough. 

 My only complaint was that I wished I would have ordered a size larger, because I definitely wanted more after I finished my cup. Good job, Kreuzberg. A+. 

Presentation: 
Yummy taste: 
Price: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!