Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SLODoCo: Hot Chocolate With A Side of Even More Chocolate

Hot chocolate and a chocolate-filled donut
at SloDoCo, San Luis Obispo.
THIS MAY COME AS NO SURPRISE, but I have a high tolerance for all things chocolate. By which I mean I could probably eat chocolate for every meal without ever getting a stomachache. What can I say? It's one of my superpowers along with not crying when I cut onions.

Last week, I found myself at SLO Donut Company (nicknamed SLODoCo) ordering a small cup of Hot Chocolate alongside one of their  chocolate donuts. SLODoCo is tucked away in a shopping center not too far from Downtown. With its metallic furnishings and its extended hours, SLODoCo is popular study spot for the local students and it reminds me of the 24-hour Study Room at Davis. Except it has freshly-baked donuts.

When it comes to their baked goods, they always have a lot to choose from - including a bacon-covered maple bar that I've never tried but that I hear is fantastic. One day when I'm feeling more adventurous, I'll try one - but until that day, I'll keep ordering whatever has chocolate on it. Or in it. I'm a creature of habit.

The donut I ordered was positively sinful. It had chocolate filling on the inside and chocolate frosting with white chocolate chips on the outside. They should call it "Every Chocolate Lovers' Wet Dream," but they're not very clever when it comes to naming their donuts. I believe this one was labeled something along the lines of "Chocolate Bar."

The cocoa is just a straightforward hot chocolate mix - no added flavors or other bells and whistles. The chatty baristas gave me the choice between lowfat or whole milk in it and I chose whole. They added some whipped cream on top, which I always appreciate. SLODoCo's Hot Chocolate (small) cost $2.66. That's on par with most of the other cafes I haunt.

The hot chocolate was good, but I've definitely had better. The chocolatey taste was too subtle; not something I want in my cocoas. But despite the lack of flavor, it wasn't watery (unlike some other cocoas I've had lately). It just could have been stronger. But admittedly, they are a donut shop first and foremost, not a cafe - though they have a good selection of drinks to order. The donut was so mouth-wateringly delish that I can't bring myself to be too hard on them. Sure, their hot chocolate leaves something to be desired, but their donuts are to-die-for.

I'll probably order a cup of hot tea or a Thai tea next time, but I don't regret trying their hot chocolate. I've certainly had worst.

Presentation: 
Yummy taste: 

Price: 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!